Sunday, February 4, 2007

Being Thankful

Every now and then my weekly shift at Kitty Cottage is a bit more emotional than most, for various reasons. This has turned out to be one of those days.

It didn't fully hit me until after I got home tonight, but it started last weekend when I learned the shelter had rescued a dozen or so cats from a local "kill shelter." When we have some room, our manager will go to other shelters and select some cats that appear to be very adoptable but will be euthanized after a period of time if they aren't adopted out. She really has a knack for picking out wonderful cats, and this bunch was no exception: several gorgeous long-haired ones, some obese but lovely ones, a couple with attitudes, and a scruffy little guy named Fatty Boo.

Though I was amazed by all of them, it was Fatty Boo who got to the heart of me instantly. Because some had developed colds, and for the protection of our established residents, the new cats were being quarantined in a room upstairs for a transitional period. Only volunteers and staff, familiar with the procedures for sanitizing themselves before returning to the main population, were allowed to visit them.

What a pathetic bunch they were! Desperate to be loved, they seemed aware they'd been given another chance but didn't quite realize they could now take their time finding the right people--that they could stay with us as long as they needed to, even if that meant forever.

Fatty Boo approached me immediately and settled into my arms, purring as if his life depended on it. And I became the scrappy little guy's biggest fan.

By today their colds had progressed a bit, but their misery didn't dampen their desire to be cuddled and loved. Fatty Boo came to me again, purring hard and trembling as I scooped him close to me. As he curled up in my lap and soaked up the love and warmth, I looked around at the rest of the bunch. It seemed as if they realized they were in a relatively safe place and were taking a much-needed break from survival mode. They were cold and sick and vulnerable...but did they realize they were also cherished and protected?

Meanwhile, Fatty Boo continued to tremble in my arms, and I became worried about his condition. I had the volunteer in charge take a look at him, and she cranked up the heat a degree or two. Within an hour, the room felt much more comfortable and all the inhabitants seemed to feel a bit better. Fatty Boo continued to purr like mad, but he had ceased his trembling and I had ceased worrying.

After helping medicate the sickly cats and finishing up all the routine chores, I headed home nearly two hours later than usual, tired and hungry. Just to be safe, I showered off any possible residual germs before spending time with my own kitties. After I got clean and warm and all of us had dinner, I looked around at my four wonderful babies and realized how fortunate we all are.

If Kitty Adoption Team hadn't taken in my silver tabby Buster as a kitten, and if I hadn't moved to the East Coast when I did, where would he be now? If Pip's and George's previous mom hadn't loved them enough to put them in a no-kill shelter--the very one where I worked--what would have become of them? And my sweet girl Sunshine has been with me so long I can't imagine things any other way. My cats are happy, and they are grateful in their own ways. But surely they could never comprehend how lucky they are in comparison to all the other homeless cats who've met different fates.

I held Buster close and indulged in a few sentimental tears while he patiently allowed himself to be snuggled and kissed. I resisted the urge to give a lecture that would fall on deaf ears and simply allowed myself to be grateful for the four healthy, beautiful babies who make my life so cozy and happy.

Thank God they're safe; thank God they're home.

And thank God for Kitty Cottage, because soon Fatty Boo and his friends will be safe and happy in their own loving homes. Tonight, on the coldest night yet this Winter, I pray they'll rest peacefully and regain their strength, and that they can finally feel all the love and hope that surrounds them.

No comments:

Post a Comment